Display advertising in email is the perfect supplement to catalog mailings, and can help you develop an effective cross-channel marketing strategy. By serving display ads to your catalog customers, you will remind them of your brand while they are online, and prompt them to go to your website to do more research or complete a purchase.
With LiveIntent, you can show display ads to people who have received a catalog, in the the email newsletters of 1600+ premium publishers.
Below are the steps required to get your campaign live.
1) Determine if you have a branding goal or a performance goal
- A branding campaign helps to increase awareness of a brand or product. A branding campaign optimized for clicks or conversions can be an extremely versatile strategy that will help drive success towards any goal. You will pay on a CPM basis, which stands for cost per million impressions. Impressions= the number of times an ad is displayed.
- A performance campaign helps you reach a specific CPC (cost per click) or CPA (cost per action). You can choose to pay based on action completions, but it is recommended that you only do this if you have a conversion funnel conducive to success. The length of the conversion process and the amount of information being requested from the consumer must be taken into consideration.
- The most successful email sign-up campaigns have a clear “sign up” call-to-action on the creative and lead directly to a landing page with the email form fill. Minimize any extra noise on the landing page so the user is not distracted, and instead focused on finishing the conversion. The less information the user is asked to submit (besides for their email address), the higher the success rate.
- The most successful purchase campaigns have clear pricing & product imagery on the creative, and the click through leads directly to the product listing. A click-through leading to a category of products extends the conversion funnel and has been shown to have higher conversion costs.
More information on How to Choose a Campaign Goal
2) Determine who the campaign will reach
LiveIntent enables you to engage with your customers via online display ads in the email newsletters of 1600+ premium publishers.
Here are different ways you can use your CRM segments:
- Target Engaged Customers Across Premium Brands' Newsletters
- Re-engage In-actives, Non-Openers, Non-Clickers, Unsubscribes
- Nurture Customers or Recommend Up-Sells and Cross-Sells to Increase Conversions
- Prospect for New Customers Efficiently, Suppressing Known Customers from the Campaign
In an effort to protect your data, the privacy of your customers, as well as stay in compliance with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC), we require all email audience files to be hashed. Hashing converts a normal email address and converts it into a 32-character hexadecimal string, and most importantly removes the consumers personally identifiable information (PII).
Here are directions for sending your file. We recommend you provide your file to your LiveIntent Account Manager 3 days before campaign launch.
3) Provide creatives and click-through URLs
You can provide either static images and click URLs, or third party tags. We recommend that all of these items are sent to your LiveIntent Account Manager 3 days before campaign launch.
- Static Image- the creative that will serve as an ad
- Images can be jpeg/png/gif and should be sent to your LiveIntent Account Manager in a zip file
- LiveIntent accepts the following ad sizes: 970x250, 970x550, 300×250, 728×90, 160×600, 300×600
- LiveIntent does have a creative services department that will build out creatives, but you will need to sign a SOW
- We recommend: provide 3-5 creatives in each ad size
- Click URL- the website address that a visitor goes to when he/she clicks on the ad
- We recommend that each ad creative have a separate click URL
- If you are using Google analytics, we recommend adding tracking parameters to click URLs
- We recommend targeting desktop users with a click URL to a standard landing page, and targeting mobile users with a click URL to a mobile-friendly landing page
- Note: LiveIntent does not offer creative services for landing pages
We recommend you use these landing page best practices
- Third party ad tags- these ad tags can be used if you are using a third party ad server to host creatives and track impressions. We only accept standard tags and do not support HTML, Java or iFrame tags.
More information on sending ad tags
4) Implement the pixel
A pixel is used to track conversions completed by users. Conversion pixels provide data for our prediction engine, which in turn, helps us better optimize campaigns.
Your LiveIntent Account Manager will provide you with a pixel. You can implement the pixel through a container tag, or tag manager, or by hardcoding the pixel. We recommend that pixels be hard-coded into the html of a webpage, and that they are implemented 3 days before campaign launch.
Please notify your LiveIntent Account Manager when the pixel is placed.
More information on How to Implement a Conversion Pixel