Due to Apple's feature with iOS 15 called Mail Privacy Protection (MPP), LiveIntent's targeting capabilities are limited. To learn more about MPP, please click here.
Targeting on Device Type
Much like Google and Yahoo, Apple created a server proxy that masks our ability to know if a user is on their phone, tablet, and desktop device. This means we cannot target Apple users by device type.
Line Item Targeting
If you are using LiveIntent's platform to manage your own advertising campaigns, you will see these device types in the targeting section.
Below is a description of each device type:
- PC - device is identified as a laptop or desktop, such as a Dell or Lenovo computer.
- Phone - device is identified as a mobile device, such as a smartphone.
- Tablet - device is identified as a tablet device, such as a Microsoft Surface.
- GoogleProxy - device is using Google Mail.
- AppleMPPProxy - device is using Apple Mail and has opted into Mail Privacy Protection.
- Apple Mail - device is using Apple Mail but has not opted into Mail Privacy Protection.
- YahooMailProxy - device is using Yahoo Mail.
You still may choose to target users of Apple devices (either Apple Mail or Apple MPPProxy), however, please note that reporting on impressions and impression-based metrics will not be reflective of true email opens. For more information on impacts to reporting, please click here.
You also may choose to exclude users of Apple devices. Please work with your LiveIntent team to come up with the right strategy for your campaigns.
Apple MPP also masks a user's IP address, which impacts our ability to target campaigns by location granularly. DMA, city, and ZIP code targeting are unavailable on Apple devices. The closest we can target is by state and country. It is because of this limitation that we do not recommend geo holdout incrementality testing for email ad campaigns.